Information about library services that are available during the Covid-19 pandemic.
14/09/2021 12:56 p.m.
Covid-19 Alert Level 2
We are gradually opening our libraries as we set them up to comply with Ministry of Health guidelines for the safety of our customers and staff.
Whangarei Central Library
The Central Library is open with limited services.
Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm
Saturday 9am to 1pm
Sunday 10am to 1pm.
- Contact tracing registration - using the NZ COVID Tracer QR code or sign the register.
- Wear a face covering and use hand sanitiser
- Keep a 2-metre distance from other people and library staff.
- Limit your visit to 30 minutes maximum.
- If you feel unwell, please do not enter the library
- Be kind to library staff and others.
- Due to the mandatory Level 2 guidelines above we are not able to admit groups of school children into the library after school.
Children are more than welcome to come into the library if accompanied by an adult.
Branch and Mobile Libraries
Kamo, Onerahi, Tikipunga Libraries and the Mobile Library remain closed until further notice.
Return chutes are open at all branch libraries.
Holds are suspended
Holds or requests on physical items, (books, talking books, magazines and DVDs), are suspended until further notice.
Holds placed before 18 August when Alert Level 4 came into effect, will need to be collected before they expire on 23 September.
Holds at the branch libraries will be available for collection at the Central Library.
- Limited public computers - there is a booking system in place using My Monitor and they are time-limited to 30 minutes.
- Interlibrary Loans service is suspended until further notice.
- Children's programmes and events at our libraries are cancelled until we move to Alert Level 1.
- Meeting rooms: The Leonard Room is closed until Alert Level 1
The May Bain Room is closed until further notice.
- Saturday JP Service is suspended until Alert Level 1.
More information about My Monitor
We will be regularly reviewing this situation and will publish updates on this website and Facebook page.
Explore our online library
The library has an extensive range of free digital media available anywhere with an internet connection, 24/7. All you need is a Whangarei District Libraries card number and pin to get access to:
- eBooks, eAudiobooks and eMagazines fiction and non-fiction for all ages.
- Current editions of national and international newspapers and magazines.
- Beamafilm free movie streaming service.
- Lynda Learning for video courses on a huge range of software, technology, business and creative skills.
- Encyclopedias, journals and other reference materials for homework, study and research.
- Heritage and family history resources
It's free to join the library
Join the library for instant access our online library. Membership is open to Whangarei District residents and also to those who live outside the district.
If you have any questions, you can contact us by: